How to deal with the blizzard of Christmas trees in Sydney
The bali weather was already a problem for Christmas shoppers on Tuesday night as the blizzards continued.
A total of 22,000 trees were knocked down and another 15,000 uprooted by lightning, water and wind.
Snow-covered hills and the edges of towns and villages were also left covered in branches and branches fell across the city.
The blizzard also caused power outages across NSW, with people in rural areas without electricity unable to get home.
Some areas had to be evacuated as the state’s emergency response team had to rush to deal on their own.
It was not immediately clear how many people were injured or killed in the blustery weather, but the ABC reported that at least three people were killed in a fire at a Sydney hotel.
The state’s Chief Emergency Officer said the blazes had started near a dam on the Bali River and were continuing to spread across the state.
“I’ve got an announcement that we have three blazes in the State, that’s all we have to say on that,” he said.
NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian said the state was in the “final stages” of recovery.
“Our entire state has been put into lockdown, we’ve got three blizzons in the country, and we’re in the final stages of recovery,” she said.
“We’re going to be here until we’re able to get the state back to normal.”
Ms Berejkalian said it was too early to know how many homes had been destroyed or damaged, and the extent of the damage.
“It’s not good news for the people that are living here in these communities.
They’re looking at their homes, they’re looking for their properties,” she told ABC Radio Sydney.
“And I think we’ve just got to wait and see how it goes.”
Ms Bryson said the fires were expected to continue, and said the fire department was still trying to assess damage.
The Queensland Government has said it is also prepared to help.
“The Queensland Government is working with the Federal Government, with NSW and with our partners, to assist Queensland,” a spokeswoman for the Queensland Government said.
Emergency management Queensland has also confirmed it is providing additional resources to help with the fire.
“Emergency management Queensland is continuing to provide a robust response to the fire in NSW, which has resulted in significant damage and disruption to the Queensland economy,” it said.
The Australian Capital Territory has also stepped in to assist the state and its residents.
Chief Minister Adam Giles has said that residents are “on the ground” with the local police and the Federal Emergency Management Agency.
The fire will continue to spread into other states and territories, with more than 1,000 firefighters on the ground.
The NSW Emergency Management Council said it would work with its partner agencies to support the recovery effort.
“These are extremely difficult and difficult times for our state, and this is a very, very difficult time for the families,” Chief Executive John Brown said.
Mr Brown said he would be releasing more details about the response in coming days.